Sunday, January 3, 2010

Little Saint

Welcome to Red Bell Reads, my blog about words and images that I find intriguing. My first offering to you is Little Saint by Hannah Green, a book I've actually read twice. My first encounter with Little Saint occurred deep in the heart of la France profounde during my month-long stay in the Lot. It was Laury's book; she recommended it as it is about Conques, a pilrimage village that I planned to visit during my stay. It is about Conques, but more importantly, it's about the saint venerated there in the Abbey Church....Sainte Foy. Martyred in 303 AD as a 12 year old child, Foy captured the imagination of the author, Hannah Green during her many sojourns in the village. This book is as much a memoir of the author as it is her rapture with the child-saint. When I returned home, I bought my own copy of the book and read it again. Each word, each sentence took me back to Conques, now a beloved memory of my trip. I'm as charmed by Sainte Foy as Ms. Green was. I can't wait to get back to Conques to visit her church again and light a candle to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment