Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More Stephanie Plum

You're going to laugh. Today I went to the library to return "Twelve Sharp" and check out the next book in the Stephanie Plum series, "Lean Mean Thirteen." I knew they had it; I saw it on the shelf my last visit. Zut alors! It wasn't there. I pulled every Janet Evanovich book from the shelf. I checked both before and after her section, thinking maybe someone had stuck it back in the wrong place. Nothing, zero, zilch... no #13! How unlucky is that? I walked away incapable of choosing "Fearless Fourteen" which was there. Muttering "I just can't read them out of order," I continued to browse. After wandering up and down the aisles and talking hard to myself, I returned and plucked "Fearless Fourteen" from its place. "Each book stands alone," I reasoned with myself. "You can read #13 next time around." With a sigh, my defeated, neurotic read-'em-in-order self checked out. As I walked thru the hallway to the library's exit, I glanced at the books for sale. If the library finds itself with duplicates of books (they receive donated books all the time), they put them on sale, cheap, to raise money for the library. Right there, front and center, was #13, a bargain at a buck for the hardcover copy. I stopped; I pondered. Should I just buy it? NO! that's absolutely neurotic. So, Lucie and I continued our town chores...getting gas for the mower, picking up a dozen farm-fresh eggs at the feed store, and mailing bills at the post office. All the while, #13 was calling my name. Finally unable to resist, I drove back to the library and bought the sucker! As I paid the librarian, I confessed my neuroses. "I just can't seem to read them out of order," I moaned. She commiserated with me..."Me neither," she laughed, "number thirteen must be checked out."

"And by the way," she added as I opened the door to leave, "we have her latest, #16 on the 'new books' shelf"

"No way," I shot back,"you can't tempt me. I've got three more to read before I'm there!"

Yes, I am neurotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment