Friday, March 5, 2010

Trail of Crumbs

I became an avid reader before I could even read! My mom wrote in my baby book that as soon as I could sit up, I'd entertain myself for hours 'reading' magazines and comic books. The summer between 6th and 7th grade I remember feeling so proud that  I had read every biography and autobiography in the entire Bookmobile! (did they have Bookmobiles where you lived?) It seems only natural, then, that the memoir has become one of my favorite literary genres. This memoir, "Trail of Crumbs" by Kim Sunee came recommended by a friend who knew a memoir sprinkled with New Orleans, Paris, Provence and food would be right up my alley..and she was right! I caution you, however, that if you're looking for a 'happily ever after' story or one full of sunshine and light, this memoir is not for you. Kim Sunee explores her life as 'other' looking for a place to call home, a place where she fits in. What she has in reality is a life most of us would consider a wonderful, a fairy tale life. In her early twenties, she meets and becomes the companion of Olivier Baussan, founder of the French company, L'Occitane. Desperately in love, they live in a villa in Provence and an apartment in Paris, and travel all over the world to its most gorgeous and exotic places. Kim is beautiful, talented, smart and living a lifestyle that most people would envy, yet she is desperately unhappy and unsure of herself. Her struggle to find identity is compelling; her writing is evocative and luscious especially when she shares the one thing that does make her happy...food and cooking. The recipes she includes for her favorite comfort foods are reason alone to read this books. They may surprise you! So will Kim Sunee.

No comments:

Post a Comment