Saturday, February 13, 2010

Haiti

Even before the devastating earthquake in Haiti last month, my friend, Edith recommended that I read this book, "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. I often act on her recommendations since we share a lot of common interests. I didn't get around to actually purchasing my copy, though, until after the earthquake when I felt compelled to learn more about this complex, poverty-ridden neighbor. The book is centered around Dr. Paul Farmer who is a medical doctor and anthropologist and who has made healthcare in Haiti his life's focus. He is an amazing man and Kidder does a very good job presenting him objective candor. In telling Dr. Farmer's story, Kidder also tells the story of Haiti...its corrupt governments, its culture, its irrepressible people, and its poverty. As a nurse, I found Dr. Farmer's theory that healthcare can only be improved when poverty is alleviated most compelling. I think the author lays out Dr. Farmer's arguments in support of this theory completely and objectively. Something that's hard to do when so many people consider Dr. Farmer a genuine hero for his unflagging work for improved healthcare not only for Haiti, but also for the rest of the world. If you have an interest in digging deeper into Haitian culture or a desire to learn more about Dr. Farmer's work to improve healthcare by setting up systems of public health that incorporate ways to raise people up out of poverty, "Mountains Beyond Mountains" is a must-read for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment